>Today has been a lovely day, I was woken up at about 9am by my daughter climbing into bed next to me for a cuddle. We had a breakfast of bacon sarnies in bed while I forced her to watch Saturday kitchen yet again!
We had a quick tidy up and made some yummy rainbow biscuits which she loved making, especially dipping them into tons of hundreds and thousands!
175g softened butter
50g golden caster sugar
50g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
140g icing sugar for the icing
zest and juice of one orange
a billion hundreds and thousands (we used a whole pot!)
1. Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6
2. Mix the butter, 50g icing sugar, caster sugar, egg yolks and vanilla with a wooden spoon until creamy.
3. Mix in the flour in 2 batches until combined
4. Stir in the orange zest
5. Roll the dough into 22 walnut sized balls and sit on baking sheets, pressing them down slightly
6. Bake for 15 mins until golden and leave to cool.
7. Mix the icing sugar and orange juice until thick
8. Dip each biscuit half into the icing then into the sprinkles and dry on a wire rack
These are really nice with a cuppa and they certainly went down well with my daughter, although she insisted on colouring the icing blue as she does with everything that calls for icing these days!
We had a girly dvd session and watched Beverly Hills Chiuaua, which was made all the more enjoyable by this lovely specimen who plays the male lead (Yum!):
Next up was making and decorating a High School Musical handbag. I thought my sewing days were over, but my daughter insisted that I take the lead on the actual making of the bag and even though all the holes were punched into the denim I still made a meal out of it and it took me ages to line it all up, but I was pretty pleased with the end result – it looks like a bag after all! E set about decorating it and it looks pretty good!
Looks like I will be cleaning and having a bit of a declutter tomorrow now as that had been on the plan for today! Oh well!